About this course
The European project ENGAGE is part of the “Science in Society” for promoting Responsible Research and Innovation’ (RRI), which provides curriculum materials to get students talk and think in socio-scientific issues that impact in their life and the planet as a whole. In order to maximise student achievement, ENGAGE online courses aims to help teachers:
- 1. Address contemporary science issues and applications relevant to students.
- 2. Develop beliefs, knowledge and classroom practice for ‘rri’.
- 3. Expand their online community built around science-in-the-news and curriculum materials.
This course focuses on socio-scientific issues through Dilemma, Group Discussion, Problem-Solving and Conversation. Participants will learn:
- Using dilemmas for students to engage, think and talk on socio-scientific issues
- Setting up effective group discussions for learners to apply knowledge and skills
- Preparing students through conversations for them to build scientific reasoning
- Planning problem-based lessons with argumentative conversation for RRI/enquiry skills
- Experiencing collaborative planning and reflective implementation of ENGAGE PROJECT EXTERMINATE.